The mission of the Tucson Modern Quilt Guild is to support and encourage the growth and development of modern quilting through art, education, and community. We are proud to be part of the international Modern Quilt Guild
What is Modern Quilting?
- This is the number one question we get asked! Modern is something that we believe needs to be defined by the individual person. Some of us make very "modern" quilts (when considered in art terminology), others use "modern" fabric to make very traditional blocks and quilts. We are quilters learning and growing at our own pace.
- The Modern Quilt Guild started in Los Angeles in 2009. Their web page has great information and a dynamic gallery with many examples of modern quilts. We love the online quilting community which connects us to people with the same interests.
- We make charity quilts from blocks made with a focus fabric that is distributed to the membership every other month. We collect the blocks and turn them into quilts for local charities.
- In the past we have made quilts and pillowcases for many local charities including the VA Hospital, Fisher House (on the VA Campus), HUD VA Supportive Housing, Tucson Medical Center for Children, Banner/University of Arizona Medical Center, Quilt for a Cause, Emerge Center Against Domestic Violence, and the Big Brothers & Big Sisters organization.
- We made and sent quilts to Orlando and Las Vegas for survivors, families, and first responders.
- We sent fabric to the Modern Quilt Guild chapter affected by the fires near Napa. These quilters can make their own quilts but their fabric stashes were lost in the fires.
Officers elected for 2020
- Regardless of your level, as an experienced quilter or someone just starting out, we hope that you will find our guild inspiring, educational, fun and entertaining.
- Interested in joining? Come to a meeting (info here) to find out more!
- Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- President: Mae
- Vice President: Kristi
- Secretary: Karen
- Treasurer: Marlene
- Membership: Bailey